Borneo Break: Prelude

As far as I remember, Mau Wei had been inviting friends in Peninsular Malaysia to go over to Borneo. She had been working for almost half a decade in Miri, Sarawak. One day, she called and extended that invitation and since my Tibet trip had been called off because of the problems that arose in Llasa, I decided to go to Miri instead. I booked tickets weeks before the actual trip and when the big day finally arrived, my niece drove me to Kamunting to catch a bus to Penang where I would board a plane to Kuala Lumpur. Just before she dropped me off at the bus station however, she took me to a food fair. She had lots of coupons with her and together we went round the stalls that had been set up by voluntary private organisations to raise funds for a school for the handicapped, Sekolah Semangat Maju. Over there, I got to see some special children performing the Chicken Dance...

Special children performing the Chicken Dance...



Travel Tip: Take joy in preparing for a trip.