Borneo Break: All's Well that Ends Well

Driving up a narrow and steep road up Bukit Telaga Minyak (Oil Well Hill) in Miri would reward one with not just a picturesque view of Miri but up that little hill, one would get to see the Grand Old Lady and visit the Miri Petroleum Science Museum. I suppose the Grand Old Lady refers to the first oil well drilled by Shell Company in 1910. Bukit Telaga Minyak used to be called Canada Hill as there was once a Canadian residing there. The Canadian recruited foreign and local workers to work in oil fields in the vicinity and it was here that Oil Well No. 1 was located. I didn't know whether to cry or laugh on my last day in Miri. I would probably cry when I received an SMS from AirAsia informing me that my flight to Kuala Lumpur was delayed since it would mean that I would miss my connecting flight to Penang. But then the extra time I had in Miri had Mau Wei driving Amber and me around town to the wet market and to Bukit Telaga Minyak where we could catch a glimpse of the local products and the Grand Old Lady herself. I laughed when AirAsia rescheduled my flight ticket to Penang to a more convenient time...Thanks AirAsia and thanks Mau Wei, for a memorable Borneo Break. And nice meeting you, Amber, Gendil, Miss Saw, Cing Cing and family...May our paths meet yet!

Some products in the Miri Wet Market...








A view from Bukit Telaga Minyak...



The Grand Old Lady...




Coming Soon: Java Jamboree!